More Florida Swine Flu Deaths

SEBRING – Fourteen-year-old Marquis Hamilton’s death Friday has been linked to H1N1 swine flu, the Highlands County Health Department said today.

The 10th District Medical Examiner’s Office confirmed that Hamilton died from complications from the H1N1 virus, a health department official said.

“Our deepest sympathies are extended to family and friends,” said Robert Palussek, the health department administrator.

Before he died, Hamilton had flu-like symptoms but no pre-existing conditions or chronic illnesses, a health department press release stated last week.

The teen’s step father was reportedly taking him to Florida Hospital Heartland Division early Friday morning after he complained of severe stomach cramps and flu-like symptoms.

The parent pulled into the Publix Supermarket parking lot on U.S. 27 and called 911 after realizing the boy was not breathing and tried to perform CPR.

Emergency medical services workers responded at approximately 4:30 a.m. Friday and tried to resuscitate the boy while on their way to Highlands Regional Medical Center.

The boy was pronounced dead at 5:36 a.m. at the hospital.

That is one of the scarier scenarios when a formerly healthy child dies suddenly from the flu. Hopefully the vaccine will keep this from being repeated in families throughout the nation; however, the flu is spreading rapidly throughout schools now.

Swine flu has claimed the life of a 46-year-old Charlotte County woman, the first death in the county from H1N1 complications.

Charlotte County Health Department spokesman Adam DuBois confirmed the death Wednesday.

“The medical examiner concluded their case today. It seems she died from bronchial pneumonia with complication from H1N1,” he said.

A third person has died in Polk County after becoming ill with the H1N1 swine flu, Polk County Health Department officials said.

The 46-year-old woman had underlying medical conditions and was admitted to a Central Florida hospital with respiratory and chest symptoms, officials said.

She died over the weekend, and the Health Department received word Wednesday morning that she tested positive for swine flu, said health director Dr. Daniel Haight.

He declined to provide details about her underlying conditions, her place of death or where she lived, except to say that she was not from Lake Wales, where an earlier death attributed to swine flu reportedly occurred.

Haight cited privacy issues and said he did not want people to focus on one area when flu is everywhere.

“The flu has really spread throughout the county,” he said.

Family members of the first Polk victim identified him as 31-year-old Michael Lester, who had worked at McLaughlin Middle School in Lake Wales. His death was reported July 16. A second man, a 34-year-old with an underlying medical condition, died Aug. 26.

Haight said none of the people were connected to each other.

There have been 78 laboratory confirmed H1N1 flu deaths in Florida and 593 deaths in the U.S., the Health Department said.

Interestingly, several news sites at different times cited that “78 deaths” figure, even though they were commenting on different deaths at different times. TampaBayOnline mentioned 87 deaths.

CHARLOTTE COUNTY, FLAt a press conference in Punta Gorda this morning, the County Health Department released information about the H1N1 death.

On Sep. 1 at 1:41 p.m., the CCSO received a call from the daughter of 46-year-old Cheryl Ann McCabe of Port Charlotte, who found her deceased in the bedroom. When deputies arrived, it was determined that McCabe had been deceased for some time; EMS arrived and confirmed the death. A paramedic asked everyone to vacate the house at that time because of fear that the house might be contaminated with some type of hazardous condition, and appropriate actions were taken.

The Sheriff’s report said this concern was because another unexpected death occurred at this same residence on Aug. 29 with the death of McCabe’s boyfriend, 42-year-old Raymond Bei. His death was reported to CCSO 11:16 a.m. that day by McCabe. The report said he had extensive medical issues. Bei’s doctor signed the death certificate and he was removed to a local funeral home.

“Our hearts go out to the family and friends for their loss, and we continue to encourage people to take precautions against flu-like illness by following proper hygiene practices” said Steven Mitnick, M.S., A.R.N.P, M.B.A, and Administrator of the Charlotte County Health Department.

If two people in the same house die of a flu-like illness, I believe it should be investigated thoroughly, prior medical conditions or not.

Brazil Registers 899 Swine Flu Deaths.

1 Response so far »

  1. 1

    Sean said,

    The second wave of swine could have arrived in the UK, more information can be found at Swine Flu Britain


Comment RSS · TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: