Archive for June, 2012
The only time I ever cry is when I’m so pissed off that I am about to make an attempt to beat somebody or something to death with a shovel. Shooting is just not satisfying enough. That’s how I felt about the Obamacare ruling this morning.
I think I’ve reached the last straw, the point where not only do I refuse to pay this tax, but am strongly tempted to tell Washington, D.C. to shove all their rules, regulations and taxes up their ass sideways.
This crazy spending is unsustainable. You know it. I know it. And Obamacare is going to add a HUGE new burden to the taxpayer, who is burdened enough.
I’ll write more if/when I can get my temper under control.
SwampDaughter called to find out what the plan was for getting the kids Friday and for next week. Plan? I told her that it was a little bit difficult making actual plans on account of we didn’t know if we could even get on the highway Thursday or Friday. We’ll wait until later in the week to make a decision about whether the kids need to be here Thursday evening, or we’ll get them Friday morning. We will go with the flow. I’m a leaf on the wind.
SwampDaughter HATES going with the flow. She doesn’t think I’m a leaf on the wind. She says people like me make people like her CRAZY. She wants an actual plan in writing (and probably signed in blood) in triplicate IN ADVANCE of what we are going to do. Well. I wish somebody would tell that aggravating tropical storm about that. We have plans, damnit, and you better not interfere if you know what’s good for you!
Okay, here’s the plan, then. In the event of even more widespread flooding that leaves the road under water, I’ll walk to SwampSon’s house, borrow his canoe, carry it on my head a mile or so to where the water in the road begins, and canoe back home. She can drive to the edge of the water, put life jackets on the kids, and SwampMan and I will canoe to the water’s edge and collect them.
Another plan could be that we can tie a rope to an innertube and toss that across to her, she can put the kids in, and we’ll pull ’em back across to us. They’d probably like that.
How’s that for a couple of plans?
Or (alternative plan) we could assume that we’ll be able to get to Jacksonville by 7 a.m. on Friday morning to pick them up, and revise if necessary, which has been our plan all along.
I was taking advantage of a lull in the rain to move a couple of the pastured chicken pens. The bantam pen had water higher than bantams are tall, so they very wisely elected to stay on their roosts until I came to the rescue. The white rocks are taller (and their pen was on a little higher land) so they’re flapping about in a *very* pissed off fashion in water up to their behinds.
I got the bantams moved but it started raining again before I could get the rocks moved. I had to rescue a rooster and hen who had unwisely decided to brave the water. The water had risen to neck deep in just a short period of time! I just waded out and carried them to safety two and three at a time, and put them in a dog kennel under shelter. Yeah, they’re crowded, but they’re not drowned. I hope they appreciate that.
There are huge rafts of floating fire ants out there, and boy are THEY pissed. I am covered in welts!
I waded out to the brush pile where a hen with newly hatched chicks had taken refuge. Two chicks made it through the night. I’d like to carry them to safety for only the top of the brush pile is above water, but they (chicks) hide lower in the brushpile when I arrive. If I try to catch them, they’ll drown, and probably their mother, too. I put a piece of plywood on the brushpile and put some chick feed on it. At least it will be a more stable platform for the momma and the chicks and, if it gets deeper, perhaps they’ll float.
A mother hen in a pen with seven chicks is okay, but three of the chicks died in the night. The four remaining chicks and the mother hen were soaking wet this morning.
I’ve been waiting for the rain to stop before I move the chicken pen because I’m runnin’ short of dry clothing, but it doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen soon. I need to do a load of laundry now anyway because the water is overtopping my boots and every time I come inside, I need a pair of dry socks.
SwampMan had $20 worth of game bird chow out at the barn that I bought for him. HAD. I came inside and asked him why he left the turkey food where Breeze could get it? He said the horse couldn’t get to it from where he left it. AND he had it hid inside a metal trash can with a lid on top. *sigh* Yeah, she could and did. He just needs to accept the fact that Breeze is smarter* than he is, so he better keep his feed locked up. You’d think he’d have learned this by now.
*Well, Breeze probably couldn’t rebuild an engine unless there was feed involved. Then I wouldn’t put it past her. She can turn doorknobs, lift gate latches, drink from a beer bottle or a Coke can, stick her head through a truck window and steal the cold drink outta the cold drink holder, and take the lids offa garbage cans and strew the trash after eating stuff of interest, but I dunno about turning a wrench. He better keep his tools locked up.
It has been raining steadily all night thanks to Tropical Storm Debby. The last time I watched the news, we were getting rain at the rate of one to two inches per hour. The water in my front yard is about one to eight inches deep; the water in the side yard is one to four inches deep. The water in the sheep pasture is only about one inch deep.
I just shut the gate that I’d left open all night in the sheep pasture *just in case* the water started rising in the swamp and they needed to make a quick exit out of their barn down the alley to another, higher pasture while I was asleep.
I dunno why I left the gate open. Sheep are not known for their ability to make good decisions under pressure. I could walk out there and their barn interior could be totally inundated with just their heads sticking outta the water, and they would vigorously oppose my removing them from their barn, which is their safe place, to higher ground.
The chickens are wet (blowing rain) but I’ve placed *most* of the chicken pens where the land should be the driest. There are a couple pens where the water is pretty deep but they are all adult chickens that are on roosts. I’ll move them when it gets daylight.
The folks on the lower-lying properties will have been flooded out overnight. I hope everybody evacuated in time.
Some parents need a little summer refresher course.
I believe I could teach those classes.